Looking for a vegan alternative to a classic roast? Whether you are searching for a meat-free main dish or wanting to spice up your side dishes as part of a larger Christmas spread, this spiced, roasted cauliflower is just the ticket!
This cauliflower is bursting with great flavors, sitting on a bed of hearty, good quality plum tomatoes - it's crispy and golden on the outside and tenderly soft on the inside. It's also a very easy recipe to make and mostly 'hands off', meaning the oven does most of the hard work while you enjoy a glass of wine or some Vegg-nog with loved ones...
After all, Christmas, for many, is often one of the only times the whole family gathers together, so a good meal that doesn't consume all your time is a must.
You will need:
- 1 cauliflower (1kg), large
- Flat-leaf parsley, fresh
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- 40g flaked almonds
- 1 x 400g tin of quality plum tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Sari Foods Organic Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Sari Foods Non-fortified Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Peel the garlic, add to a pestle and mortar with the turmeric and grind into a rough paste. Add the olive oil and mix until well combined.
- Juice the lemon and set aside. Trim the cauliflower leaves, trim away and discard the stalk, allowing the cauliflower to sit flat.
- Rub the turmeric paste all over the cauliflower and place in a medium pan, drizzle over the lemon juice. Cover loosely with foil or a lid and pop in the oven for approximately 1 hour, 15 minutes, removing the foil for the final 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, then pour in the tomatoes and return to the oven for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is golden.
- Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a dry pan until golden, set aside to cool.
- When the cauliflower is ready, drizzle with a little olive oil, scatter parsley leaves and nutritional yeast flakes on top, carve and serve while hot.
Tastes great served with steamed rice and veggies or as part of a larger spread with all your usual roast goodies!