Roasted Carrot, Avocado & Quinoa Salad
A hot steaming bowl of soup stew brings classic comfort on the coldest winter days, just as a crisp, fresh salad provides delicious cooling refreshment during the sweltering heat of summer. But when the seasons are just starting to change, figuring out what might be the best feel-good recipes can get a bit confusing. What do you do when it’s not really soup or salad weather?
The surprising answer to this question turns out to be warm salads, which deliver wholesome comfort and satisfaction during those in-between weather times. Never tried warm salad? Get ready to become a fan! This lovely version serves two and combines sweet roasted carrots with creamy avocado, mild quinoa, and the savory bite of Sari Foods Non-Fortified Nutritional Yeast. We also add a generous dollop of flavorful hummus that’s sure to make this recipe one that you’ll want to enjoy again and again.
For the salad:
- ½ lb mixed color carrots
- 5 oz quinoa
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 handfuls mixed winter salad leaves (like treviso, arugula, radicchio or cavolo nero tops)
- 1 level tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 level tsp dried chili flakes
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves picked)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- 1 avocado
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 1 Tbsp toasted mixed seeds
For the dressing:
- Juice of ½ orange
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 heaping Tbsp Sari Foods Non-Fortified Nutritional Yeast.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice carrots into thick slices/chunks.
- Place chili flakes, cumin seeds, salt, pepper, garlic clove, and thyme leaves in a mortar and pestle and mash them into a paste. Add enough extra virgin olive oil to generously cover the paste, along with a good splash of vinegar.
- Toss paste and carrots together in a bowl until carrots are completely coated. Transfer to a baking tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad dressing. Whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, and Sari Foods Non-Fortified Nutritional Yeast and add an equal amount of oil.
- Next, rinse the quinoa and place in a saucepan with the vegetable broth. Cover with water and bring to a boil before simmering for 15 minutes.
- When the carrots and quinoa are ready, place them in a large serving bowl with the greens, avocado, and coriander. Add the dressing and toss together to combine. Sprinkle with toasted seeds and top each serving with hummus before serving.