Certain foods seem to get even more delicious when paired with the bright sunshine of a hot summer’s afternoon, and seasonal blackcurrants are no exception.
Surprisingly easy to grow, a backyard blackcurrant bush requires minimal attention and brings a bountiful reward during the early summer weeks. Tart when picked straight from the plant, the unique flavor of this fruit is released during cooking for a rich taste of summer sweetness.
This compote combines the humble blackcurrant with Sari Foods Natural Vitamin C Powder from Acerola Cherries to create a sweet treat with a burst of vitamin C goodness. Savor it on its own, or stir it into your favorite dairy-free yogurt and top with nuts, seeds, or granola.
- 2 cups blackcurrants
- 4 Tbsp raw sugar or honey
- 1 heaping tbsp Sari Foods Natural Vitamin C Powder from Acerola Cherries
- Remove any leaves or stems from the blackcurrants.
- Place the fruit in a stainless steel saucepan along with the sugar or honey, and bring slowly to the boil. You shouldn't need any water, but if the fruit looks as if it is starting to stick, add a tablespoon or two of water.
- When the fruit starts to burst, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once cool, stir in the acerola cherry powder.
Peace, love, and summer happiness from the Sari Foods family.