Squash and Barley Balsamic Salad
One of our favorite ways to enjoy Sari Foods Non-Fortified Nutritional Yeast is in a salad dressing. With its zesty, cheese-like flavor and natural nutrient content, nutritional yeast has a way of making even the simplest salads into truly memorable dishes.
Combining sweet butternut squash, tender broccoli, and ripe tomatoes with mild, comforting barley, this unique salad is as good for you as it is yummy. Colorful red onions, olives, and capers add a bit of a bite to get your taste buds dancing, and the savory balsamic dressing elevates this wholesome vegan dish into something special enough for holidays and occasions. This recipe makes enough for six to eight people, so there’ll be plenty to go around at your next gathering. You’re going to love celebrating with salad!
For the salad:
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into long pieces
- 1 ¼ cups hulled barley
- ½ cups broccoli
- ½ cup tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 2 Tbsp mixed seeds
- 20 black olives
- 1 big bunch chopped basil
For the dressing:
- 5 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Sari Foods Non-Fortified Nutritional Yeast
- Place the hulled barley in a pan on the stovetop, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pan and cook barley for around 45 minutes, or until it has tripled in volume and is soft yet chewy.
- Preheat oven to 375° Farhenheit. Toss the butternut squash in olive oil, place on a parchment-lined baking tray, and roast in the oven until tender and golden.
- Place broccoli in a steamer and lightly steam for about two to three minutes. (Broccoli should retain its firm texture.)
- Place chopped onions, tomatoes, capers, seeds, and basil in a large serving bowl. Add cooked barley, squash, and broccoli and toss everything together.
- Make the dressing by combining remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and whisking thoroughly. Pour dressing over salad and stir before serving.