Happy Halloween Foodies!!!
As you prepare to head out to your local pumpkin patch to make your selection for the perfect jack-o'-lantern, we've been preparing these awesome, delicious Maca & Pumpkin Spice Muffins.
These delightful treats came about whilst making my own holiday preparations. My Mom has recently gone gluten and dairy free for health reasons and so I'm always experimenting with new culinary delights to suit her needs - especially for family holiday gatherings such as this one.
Vegan, Dairy and Gluten Free!
Being gluten and dairy free never needs to be boring or feel isolating. When my Mom first gave up gluten and dairy, she would take her own food and snacks everywhere, insisting she didn't want to 'make a fuss' or 'be a pain'. Sound familiar?
And that's how this recipe (amongst many others) came about - in support of a family members choice to make a number of changes to support a longer, more healthful life. It got us thinking about food and our wider communities...
Food, Family and Community
Community and food are inseparable. Food is part of our life from birth, from establishing the unique bond between momma and baby, to the meals that accompany notable events throughout our lives. At Sari Foods, we think good food should be shared and we are always discovering creative ways to connect through food, so that we can feed each other in varying ways, on multiple levels! It's why we connect with rural, family run farms to bring you the essence of food. In choosing the right food to put in to our bodies, we discover that those choices are also good for our community, the environment and the local economy - a harmonious ripple effect created by those everyday food choices.
Regardless of who your food community are, they are sure to be satisfied with these delicious vegan and gluten free muffins. So let's bake!
You will need:
- 2 tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 6 tbsp. water
- 1 3/4 cups gluten free flower blend
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp. Sari Foods Organic Gelatinized Maca Powder
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (see note below)
- 3/4 cup raisins OR nuts or dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Prepare your flax eggs by whisking together flax seeds and water, allow to thicken for a few minutes.
- Line a muffin tin with liners. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and maca powder.
- In a large bowl, mix the coconut oil, vanilla and flax eggs together. Stir in the coconut sugar and pumpkin puree until well combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture a little at a time, fold in the raisins, nuts or choco chips.
- Divide mixture between 12 muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes until golden in color and a toothpick inserted into middle of largest muffin comes out clean.
- Takeaway - you can make your own pumpkin puree instead of buying the canned variety. Click here for our simply guide.