We are getting our Fall on and making batches of homemade soup, because let's face it - is there anything better? Simple to make, super delicious and made with mouth-watering roasted tomatoes - this Roasted Tomato Soup is the real deal!
This recipe came about when one of my little ones bought home the dreaded tummy bug from school! I wanted something smooth, liquid-like and nourishing to feed that little, sensitive, recovering tummy. This soup certainly did the trick!
Full of Goodness
Tomatoes are the main ingredient of this easy recipe. Tomatoes are a great food source of lycopene (where about 80% of lycopene in the average American diet comes from). Why is lycopene important? Great question! Lycopene, part of the carotenoid family, is a pigment that helps give red fruits and vegetables their color and also happens to be one of the free radical-fighting antioxidants (supporting the protection of cells and DNA). Awesome huh?
It is reported that lycopene is best utilized by the body when tomatoes are cooked and eaten in a meal that provides a small amount of healthy fat. For this reason, we recommend drizzling a little olive oil over the tomatoes before slowly roasting them - supporting the transfer of lycopene into the bloodstream.
(Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a starter)
You will need:
- 6 (550g) plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 500ml vegetable stock, at room temperature
- 2 tsps. tomato puree
- 50g fresh basil
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 heaping tbsps. Sari Foods Non-fortified Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees, line a large tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Place tomatoes, pepper, onion and garlic onto tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, or until golden brown and softened. Set aside and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a high-speed blender, add stock and tomato puree and blend until smooth.
- Add basil, nutritional yeast and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pulse until well combined.
- If not using a super or high speed blender, heat on the hob to desired temperature.
Serve and enjoy!
Peace, love and antioxidant goodness from the Sari Foods family.