‘Overdoing it’ seems to be a sign of the times and in an age of information overload, technology and other distractions, we all need to find a little time for rest and self-care. Self-care helps you to function at optimal levels and take on life's challenges.
If you are approaching a busy or stressful period in your life and it seems there is no time to relax in a bubble bath, meditate or prepare wholesome meals, you are more likely to let self-care fall by the wayside. If you can relate to this you may benefit from making a personalized self-care plan in advance. A plan can help you to stay on track by building self-care into your everyday routine.
To get you started we are sharing some of our favorite tips for self-care and wellbeing:
1. Walks in nature – research shows that spending time in nature can lower blood pressure, ease stress and promote mindfulness (and who are we to argue). As a team of health conscious superfoodies, we have a deep fondness of walking (no matter the weather). It really brings us back in touch with the earth and more in tune with our own humanity.
2. Meditation – whether you prefer guided meditation or simply sitting comfortably and focussing on the natural rhythm of your breath, meditation is known to clear the mind and promote awareness. There are countless ways to meditate. It is about bringing complete awareness to your actions and we recommend you start here:
- Sit or lie comfortably.
- Shut your eyes.
- Just breathe naturally.
- Focus on the rhythm of your breath, noticing how your body moves with the inhalation and exhalation. If your focus wanders, return attention to your breathe.
- Try this for a few minutes to start, then gradually build your concentration.
4. Long baths – whether it’s to ease tired muscles, take time with a good book or to simply lay quietly and practice body awareness – is there anything more relaxing than taking a soak in a hot bath?
5. Unplug - when was the last time you totally lost yourself in an activity for hours without distraction? If you only try one of these self-care tips, make it this one! The most effective of rituals, yet possibly the most difficult is that of disconnecting. Take an hour, 2 hours or a whole day (if feasible) and treat yourself to the complete freedom of disconnecting. After the initial impulse to go online (to check something real quick) passes, a stillness will set in and your thoughts will become clear.
6. Listen to yourself! Listen to your body and your mind. Every one of us has an intuition that can guide us towards healing, wellbeing and happiness. These practices can indeed help, but ultimately you are the captain of your vessel.
Peace, love and happy self-care planning from the Sari Foods family.