Supporting your body with clean, nutrient-rich foods shouldn’t mean having to miss out on your favorite treats. Thankfully, with a little creativity and a pantry full of superfoods, you can create desserts that are just as nutritious as they are decadent.
We love these vegan donuts first and foremost because they are darn delicious, but also because of the wide range of nutrients they supply. They’re the perfect afternoon pick-me-up: sweet, chocolatey (without being too rich), and oh-so-soft. But it’s not just their flavor that takes us to cloud nine, it’s the nutritional kick of our Organic Beet Powder.
We hate feeling deprived, and these decadent red velvet baked donuts are the ultimate ‘not-cheating-just-eating’ snack. They’re also deceptively simple to prepare and come together in just 30 minutes from start to finish. The hardest part of this delectable donut recipe? Resisting the urge to eat them all straight out of the oven. But we promise the cashew creme frosting is totally worth the wait!
Makes: 12 donuts
- 1/4 cup rice or buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 4 Tbsp Sari Foods Company Beet Powder
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup nut or seed butter (ideally creamy)
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt
- 3/4 coconut or nut milk of choice (plus more if the batter is a bit dry)
- 3 Tbsp rice syrup or pure maple syrup
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- extra coconut oil for greasing
Cashew Creme Frosting (Optional)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup or rice syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease a donut pan with coconut oil. If you don’t have a donut pan you can also bake these as muffins.
- Place all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir until evenly combined.
- Gently melt the 4 Tbsp of coconut oil if solid.
- Place all the wet ingredients, except the coconut oil, into another bowl and whisk until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until evenly combined, then add the coconut oil and mix to combine.
- Drop spoonfuls of donut mixture into the prepared donut pan and spread evenly to fill the holes 3/4 full.
- Place the donut tray in the center of the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- The donuts are ready when they bounce back when lightly pressed and a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the donuts from the oven and allow to rest a few minutes before tipping them out onto a wire rack. They should come out easily. If not, try gently teasing the donut sides while holding the tray upside down.
- Allow the donuts to cool completely before either coating with granulated sugar or spreading with the cream cheese frosting.
- Store the donuts in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or freeze up to 1 month.
Tip: Avoid over baking—the trick to a great donut is ensure they are only just cooked through so they stay lovely and soft on the inside.
To make the cashew creme frosting: Place the coconut oil in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of steaming water with the heat turned off. When melted, remove the bowl from the heat. Add all the remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir until well combined. Alternatively, add them to a blender and blend until smooth.