Supporting your body with clean, nutrient-rich foods shouldn’t mean having to miss out on your favorite treats. Thankfully, with a little creativity and a pantry full of superfoods, you can create desserts that are just as nutritious as they are decadent.
We love these donuts first and foremost because they’re so delicious, but also because of the wide range of nutrients they contain. Their sweet, chocolatey taste and oh-so-soft texture make these donuts the perfect afternoon pick-me-up—and the superfood kick of our Organic Beet Powder absolutely elevates us to cloud nine.
These decadent red velvet baked donuts are the ultimate ‘not-cheating-just-eating’ snack, so you can indulge without guilt when those chocolate cravings strike. This recipe serves 12 and is deceptively simple to prepare in just 30 minutes. The only challenge you’ll face is resisting the urge to eat them all straight out of the oven. But we promise the cashew cream frosting is totally worth the wait!
- ¼ cup rice or buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 4 Tbsp Sari Foods Organic Beet Powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla powder (optional)
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- ½ cup nut or seed butter (ideally creamy)
- ½ cup coconut yogurt
- ¾ cup coconut or nut milk of choice (plus more if the batter is a bit dry)
- 3 Tbsp rice syrup or pure maple syrup
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Extra coconut oil for greasing
Cashew Cream Frosting Ingredients (Optional)
- ¼ cup cashew butter
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup or rice syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease a donut pan with coconut oil. If you don’t have a donut pan you can also bake these as muffins.
- Place all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, and stir until evenly combined.
- Gently melt four Tbsp of coconut oil if solid.
- Place all the wet ingredients except the coconut oil into another bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir until evenly combined.
- Stir in the melted coconut oil.
- Drop spoonfuls of donut mixture onto the prepared donut pan, and spread evenly to fill the holes ¾ full.
- Place donut tray in the center of the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- The donuts are ready when they bounce back when lightly pressed and a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove donuts from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before tipping them out onto a wire rack. They should come out easily. If not, try gently teasing the donut sides while holding the tray upside down.
- Allow the donuts to cool completely before either coating with granulated sugar or spreading with the cashew cream frosting.
- Store donuts in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to one month.
Tip: Avoid over baking. The trick to great donuts is to only keep them in the oven until they’re just cooked through, so they stay lovely and soft on the inside.
To make the cashew cream frosting:
- Place coconut oil in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of steaming water with the heat turned off. When melted, remove the bowl from the heat.
- Add all the remaining frosting ingredients to the bowl and stir until well combined. Alternatively, add them to a blender and process until smooth.