Tempeh, Bok Choy, and Spirulina Noodles
When you’re craving the exotic flavors of Asia at your dinner table, don’t call for takeout! In the time it would take to call and wait for a takeout order, you can easily prepare a delicious batch of tempeh, bok choy, and noodles instead.
This yummy vegan dish beats a greasy, additive-laden take-away any day, combining tender bok choy with warming garlic, refreshing ginger, hearty tempeh, and comforting rice noodles.
This healthified version of fried noodles is packed with nutrient-dense veggies, tempeh, and spirulina for a quality vegan protein, and delicious coconut oil, which provides healthy fat. This fat not only helps the noodles to become slightly crunchy like takeout; it also gives this dish a satisfying richness that will stick to your ribs until it’s time for your next meal.
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp coconut oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup of tempeh, cubed
- 1 ½ Tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 loosely packed cups bok choy, large stems removed
- 2 ¼ cups cooked rice noodles
- 1 tsp Sari Foods Organic Spirulina
- Chop vegetables into small pieces.
- In a bowl, combine cubed tempeh with tamari and sesame seeds. Stir to coat the tempeh thoroughly, then set bowl aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once melted, toss in onion, garlic, and ginger. Sautee for about 2 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add tempeh to the frying pan. Stir to combine everything and cook for a couple of minutes until the tempeh starts to brown. Add ½ Tbsp water and use a spatula to move things around and reabsorb the sauce.
- Once the tempeh is nicely browned, turn the heat down a tad and add the bok choy. Stir continuously for a minute until the bok choy begins to wilt.
- Add cooked rice noodles, Sari Foods Organic Spirulina, and an additional teaspoon of coconut oil. Allow the oil to melt on the bottom of the pan, and then gently sautee everything for at least another minute, until all ingredients are warm and evenly combined.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
- Break out the chopsticks and enjoy!