Whoever came up with the phrase “too much of a good thing” clearly has never enjoyed a good smoothie bowl. They’re the perfect way to kickstart your day, packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and good fats. Not to mention, there are a million different takes on them, so you can make them as simple or as complex as you like. There are some super creative flavors out there; think pumpkin spice, cinnamon roll, or apple pie flavored smoothie bowls to bring that sense of nostalgia to a quick and easy bowl. As great as these clever flavors are, we often find ourselves coming back to a couple of super easy, but always delicious, classics.
One particular flavor combination that we love, no matter the season, is banana, strawberries, and greens. They’re readily available ingredients, and you can always grab frozen berries and bananas from the freezer aisle (or freeze ahead yourself if you’re more organized than us).
This one loads up on the spinach and Sari Foods Organic Wheatgrass Powder to deliver a hefty dose of iron and antioxidants.
Iron deficiency in developed countries is a very real issue, particularly amongst women. The symptoms can be subtle to start with, but can have a huge impact on your day-to-day life; lack of energy, poor sleep, decreased ability to recover from illness, and less "glow" are all reported symptoms of iron deficiency. A morning “greenie” can be a great way to help get a decent dose of iron into your body. Consuming your iron in whole food form (rather than as a specific iron supplement) preserves the entire balance of nutrients and all of the naturally occurring components of both the spinach leaves and our whole leaf wheatgrass powder. Many of these elements work in harmony, allowing our bodies to better recognize and utilize the nutrients available. Taking many of these nutrients individually or in isolation is not a normal way to eat; our bodies simply don’t have all the information necessary to recognize what we have just supplied it with.
Unlike many wheatgrass powders on the market, which are made by juicing and then drying, Sari Foods Organic Wheatgrass Powder is made using the whole leaf. Harvested at its nutritional peak, hand picked, air dried, and gently milled the same day to ensure we capture and lock-in the potent nutrition that Mother Nature intended.
This smoothie is delicious enough to be enjoyed often and healthy enough to become your daily breakfast go-to.
What you'll need:
This recipe makes enough for two bowls, so you can make one for you and one for someone else… or just eat both yourself!
- 1 heaping tablespoon Sari Foods Organic Wheatgrass Powder
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 2 medium ripe bananas (previously sliced and frozen)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (quantity depends on how thick you like your smoothie)
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 Tbsp nut butter (optional)
- Add all smoothie ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth—use more almond milk to thin if need be.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more banana for sweetness, more spinach for a brighter green, or almond milk for creaminess.
- Divide between 2 serving bowls and top with desired toppings!
- Best devoured immediately, although leftovers can be stored in jars in the fridge for 1-2 days.