One of my absolute favorite things about work meetings with Abi (Co-founder) is that I get to pick (steal) fresh herbs from her beautiful garden to use in recipes just like this one. Thanks Abi!
It's always a good idea to have a pesto recipe in your arsenal, especially if you have pasta-loving little ones like I do. You can personalize this pesto in so many ways to suit your taste, by substituting pine nuts for almonds or adding some avocado for a creamier version - the options are endless!
The only ingredient which never changes for me is the Spirulina. Why? A bag of Sari Foods planet-friendly Spirulina is a vegan and natural source of protein, iron, magnesium, beta-carotine, B12, chlorophyll, phytonutrients, antioxidants and essential amino acids (GLA, Omega 3, 6 & 9s).
No wonder it's rightly known as the 'ultimate superfood' and is fast becoming the must-have ingredient for smoothie bowl's, owed to its vibrant blue-green shade.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup Sari Foods Non-fortified Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- 2 handfuls fresh basil
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Sari Foods Organic Spirulina Powder
- Place spinach, basil and garlic in a food processor and pulse.
- Add the pine nuts and olive oil and pulse again.
- Stir in the spirulina, nutritional yeast and lemon juice, pulse once more if you prefer a smoother, creamier consistency.
- Season with pepper to taste and use as a sauce with your favorite spiralised Zucchini or gluten free pasta.
Peace and love from Abby & the Sari Foods family.