Festive Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
Nothing says holiday season like Christmas cookies, and gingerbread men are about as iconic as they come. Normally loaded with sugar and refined flour, our take on this Christmas classic is far more skewed towards providing your body with healthy nutrients, as well as a delicious treat!
We love the beautiful golden color our Organic Turmeric Powder gives these gingerbread men, and you know they’re loaded with dietary fiber when you see our Organic Acacia Fiber Powder dropped into the ingredients list! Better yet, there are so many ways to personalize these festive treats, from funky cutter shapes to colorful icing and fun toppings. With all the creative opportunities, decorating these is the perfect winter activity for little ones—and we love that they can indulge afterward, knowing they’re not just filling up on junk.
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup Sari Foods Organic Acacia Fiber Powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Sari Foods Organic Turmeric Powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp real salt
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, molasses, and vanilla to the dry ingredients and beat with an electric mixer until a thick dough forms (It will resemble wet crumbs that stick together when you pinch them with your finger). You may need to mix for a minute or two until the dough comes together. Don’t worry about over-mixing the dough; since it contains no gluten, so you can’t over-develop it and cause tough cookies. (It’s important to use an electric mixer or the ingredients won’t be able to combine enough to get wet.)
- Combine the dough by pressing it together by hand, until it forms one large ball.
- Place the dough in between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll out the dough to a 1/4″ thickness. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Peel the top layer of parchment off the sheet of dough. Cut out gingerbread man shapes with a cookie cutter and place the gingerbread men 1″ apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on the pan and store in an airtight container immediately.
- Decorate with desired icing and toppings.
What’s a gingerbread man without some icing?! One of our favorite things about this recipe is the icing—when mother nature provides us with such a vibrant color palette, there’s no need to turn to artificial coloring. We utilize our superfood powder range to give us beautiful hues of green (wheatgrass and spirulina), red (beet powder), yellow (turmeric), and purple (açai) to color our icing. Alongside the massive nutritional benefits of these natural superfood additions, we love how easily they blend without being lumpy or grainy. That superfine, versatile, and easy to work with texture means that you can enjoy nutrient-rich, superfood goodness all year round.
- 3/4 cup coconut butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4-1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp superfood of choice—turmeric for yellow, wheatgrass for green, spirulina for really green, beet for pink/red, etc.