The sweet, slow days of summer pass all too quickly, and in the blink of an eye you’ll be preparing for the busy back-to-school season again. Unfortunately, when things get hectic and you’re scrambling to get your kids out the door in the morning, it becomes challenging to find time to prepare healthy breakfasts and snacks.
These scrumptious superfood banana muffins are the perfect solution—quick and easy to make, super kid-friendly, and surprisingly very healthy. Bananas offer natural sweetness, prebiotic fiber, and potassium, and the old fashioned oats add antioxidants and heart-healthy soluble fiber to the mix. Mild tasting wheatgrass powder puts the “superfood” in these delectable muffins, packing a surprisingly powerful wellness punch with protein, antioxidants, chlorophyll, iron, and vitamins A, B, E, and K. The coconut oil and egg contribute healthy, rib-sticking fats to keep your kids going strong until the next meal, and as a finishing touch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cacao bring even more antioxidants on board—along with rich flavor and a warm, comforting aroma.
When you whip up a batch of these muffins (in less than a half hour!) the night before, your whole family will be able to grab a sweet, yummy muffin whenever hunger strikes, whether it’s for a quick breakfast, an after school treat, or even dessert. But be warned—these muffins will go fast, so you may want to bake a double batch just to be sure you there’s a muffin left for you to enjoy too!
- 3 medium bananas
- 1¼ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1⅔ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup Sari Foods Wheatgrass Powder
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup coconut oil
½ cup cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix the oats and almond milk, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oat flour, wheatgrass powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Fold in all mixture, and mix until smooth. Scoop into muffin pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Muffins will spring back when lightly tapped.