Sure, you know that spirulina is super good for you and that it’s the food craze of the moment, inspiring a whole host of blue-green whimsical treats and delighting food fans everywhere.
So, what's the problem?
For most of us, this nutrient packed microalgae is not the tastiest of superfoods… and eating spirulina on its own is simply not an option for a lot of people. Yet spirulina advocates take it daily for its amazing health supporting benefits (and they actually LOVE it), so the taste must be worth it - right?
What if we told you there is no need to plug your nose and knock back your daily dose of spirulina? Interested?
In this article we are going to talk about:
- Why spirulina tastes and smells… erm... unfamiliar
- What's different about Sari Foods Organic Spirulina Powder
- Our easy tips to take spirulina daily (and find it more palatable)
Whoa, what's that smell?
Spirulina is a type of algae and happens to be one of the oldest life forms on earth. In it's natural form, spirulina can be found growing in abundance in freshwater lakes, rivers and ponds and this unique, deep water environment is what gives spirulina its enriched, potent smell and taste.
Why does Sari Foods Organic Spirulina taste different to other varieties?
When Sari Foodies try our spirulina for the first time, they are often surprised that it tastes and smells fresher and cleaner than other varieties on the market. How come? In our crusade to make nature’s whole foods accessible to all, we found a collection of family run farms that use organic, and natural growing procedures and regularly test before, during and after the growing process of their spirulina.
Furthermore, our spirulina is:
- Harvested from natural soda lakes in a remote area of Korea that is free of industry and pollution.
- Cultivated with pure water from 500m underground (as opposed to surface water or un-tested seawater). This water is naturally;
- Free of environmental contaminants and is naturally rich in minerals and trace elements, making the conditions optimal for Spirulina that is both pure and nutrient-dense.
These growing conditions produce a Spirulina that is free from heavy metals, toxins and radiation contamination and is fresh, clean and safe - phew!
However, taking this into consideration still doesn’t alter the taste...so we set out on a quest to create some tasty recipes for all the algae novices out there! Why? Because it would be a great shame for you to miss out on all the benefits of this nutrient dense superfood. Before we start, let's take a few moments to look at why exactly spirulina has been given its honorary title as the most powerful superfood on the planet (and then we will get to those recipes - promise!)
What's all the fuss about?
Successfully used by NASA as a dietary supplement for astronauts on space missions, declared by the United Nations as the best food of the future and recommended by the World Health Organisation especially for nourishing children, there is no arguing that spirulina is the ultimate superfood.
- A natural source of protein, iron, magnesium, beta-carotine, B12, chlorophyll, phytonutrients, antioxidants and essential amino acids (GLA, Omega 3, 6 & 9s).
- Spirulina offers a wide array of nutrients - and because they are naturally occurring, these nutrients are more easily broken down and absorbed, making them more bioavailable as they work together to promote health and wellness in the human body.
- Sari Foods organic Spirulina packs a powerful antioxidant punch that, in turn, promotes skin health and cell regeneration while providing protection from cell-damaging molecules absorbed by the body through pollution, poor diet, injury, or stress.
- Containing 30% of your recommended daily amount of natural Iron in just one serving, Sari Foods spirulina helps your brain function and supports energy levels.
So let's look at those recipes!
OUR TOP 5 RECIPES
1. Tropical Twist Spirulina Smoothie - feel energised and kick start your day the nutrient enhanced way with this spirulina and vitamin c smoothie.
2. Supergreen Quinoa Risotto - you will find a whole army of nutrients in this savoury risotto dish that your body will just LOVE.
3. Spirulina Chocolate Superfood Bites - enjoy bite sized snacking at its finest with these vegan, dairy and gluten free treats. Yum!
4. Spirulina Pesto - looking for a delicious homemade dip or pasta accompaniment? This spirulina pesto recipe is a good one to have in your arsenal.
5. Ocean Blue Spirulina Smoothie Bowl - channel your inner sea creature with this dazzling blue-green ocean inspired smoothie bowl.
We'd love to hear what you think. What's your favorite ways to take spirulina?
Peace, love and tasty algae goodness from the Sari Foods family.